Young Carers and Siblings Camps
Camp Breakaway currently holds two Young Carers and Siblings Camps each year for 40 siblings of children with high medical needs, rare disorders and/or disabilities.
Siblings of children with high needs grow up in families where the dynamics present additional issues. Often, the needs of these children are, unintentionally overlooked. By supporting siblings, it is likely they will adjust more positively, add to the quality of life of children with high needs, and the whole family will function more positively.
During camp, siblings are spoilt, fussed over, and enjoy an awesome week of activities and entertainment.
The Young Carers and Siblings Camps are organised and run by our experienced volunteer team.
- Provide an opportunity for siblings of children with high needs to have fun in a safe, caring environment.
- Provide a range of activities that are new, challenging, exciting and that encourage self-expression.
- Give siblings the chance to meet and form friendships with other siblings in the same situation, thus enhancing their understanding that they are not alone in their situation.
- Promote a sense of self-worth and confidence.
- Briefly enable these children to escape their home environment of care and responsibilities and allow them to be, just children.
- Provide opportunities for volunteers to work alongside these children and broaden the community awareness of the needs of sibling carers.
Some of the activities at Young Carers and Siblings Camps include:
A Disco, Archery, Battle Zone, Bungie Run, Cards, Craft, Giant Swing, Movie Night, Sports, Surfing, Swimming, Treasure Hunt, Water Fights, Water Slide
Criteria for Young Carers and Siblings Camps
- Siblings of a high medical needs child or a carer for a parent with a physical or mental disability
- Twenty-four campers in primary age group 5-12 years
- Sixteen campers in teenage age group 13-18 years
- Those going to high school are to go into teenage programme (January camp only). Flexibility in age groupings to reflect variability of ages in each camp
- Campers can come to camp once a year except in an emergency at the discretion of coordinators
- Where possible, accept campers from each of the following areas; Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle, Country
- Siblings from one family – we will take all siblings at the one camp unless the parents wish to keep one or more at home
If you would like more information about the Young Carers and Siblings Camps, please call us on (02) 4390 7624 or email firstname.lastname@example.org