High Medical Needs Family Sleepover
These weekend camps provide respite for children with high medical needs and or rare disorders (some of whom are terminally ill) and for parents and siblings.
Along with Camp Breakaway volunteers, we employ paediatric nurses to take care of children with high medical needs and or rare disorders.
Check what parents of children with high medical needs and or rare disorders have to say about their stay at Camp Breakaway in the video below.
- To give unrelated children with high medical needs and or rare disorders and their siblings the opportunity to meet.
- To create an atmosphere where parents of children with high medical needs and or rare disorders feel comfortable to discuss their situation with other parents. These discussions often lead to the establishment of a support network that continues after the camp ends too.
- To create a nurturing environment where the families of children with high medical needs and or rare disorders can enjoy respite together.
- To pamper the parents with parent-only time and provide separate entertainment and activities for the children. Caring for a child with high medical needs and or rare disorders can be very demanding, and often leaves parents burnt-out.
- To provide socially rewarding and educational volunteer opportunities to people who in turn make a wonderfully meaningful contribution to the community in which they live.
Children's Activities & Entertainment
Children's activities and entertainment include a mini Olympics, other sports, craft, karaoke and a wide range of games.
Parent's Activities & Entertainment
Parental activities and entertainment include a dinner dance, massages, pampering sessions for mums, golf chipping for dads, volleyball games, live entertainment, and plenty of time to relax.
We hold one High Medical Needs Family Sleepover each year - during which, our volunteers contribute a total of more than 1,000 hours of their time.