Young Carers and Siblings
Camp Breakaway holds two Young Carers and Siblings camps each year for 40 young carers of a parent with a physical or mental disability and siblings of children with high medical needs, rare disorders and or disabilities.
Siblings of children with high medical needs, rare disorders and or disabilities grow up in families where the dynamics present additional issues. So often, the needs of these children get unintentionally overlooked. By supporting siblings, they likely adjust more positively to add to the quality of life of children with high medical needs, rare disorders and or disabilities. And this leads to the whole family functioning more positively.
During camp, young carers and siblings are spoilt, fussed over, and enjoy an awesome week of activities and entertainment.
The Young Carers and Siblings camps are organised and run by our experienced volunteer team.
- Provide an opportunity for young carers and siblings to have fun in a safe, caring environment.
- Provide a range of activities that are new, challenging, exciting, and encourage self-expression.
- Give young carers and siblings the chance to meet and form friendships with others in the same situation, thus enhancing their understanding that they are not alone.
- Promote a sense of self-worth and confidence.
- Briefly enable these children to escape their home environment of care and responsibilities and allow them to be, just children.
- Provide opportunities for volunteers to work alongside these children and broaden the community awareness of the needs of young carers and siblings.
Activities at Young Carers and Siblings camps include a bungee run, archery, Battlezone, cards, craft, disco, giant swing, movie night, sports, surfing, swimming, treasure hunt, water fights, and a water slide.
- Young carer of a parent with a physical or mental disability or sibling of a child with high medical needs, rare disorder and or disability.
- Twenty-four children to go in the primary age group 5-12 years.
- Sixteen children to go in the teenage group 13-18 years.
- For the January camp, children going to high school are to go into the teenage group.
- Flexibility in age groupings to reflect the variability of ages in each camp.
- Children can come once a year unless in an emergency at the discretion of the coordinator.
- Where possible, to accept children from each of the following areas; Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle, Country.
- To take all siblings from one family at the same time unless the parents wish to keep one or more at home.