High Medical Needs Family Camps
These weekend camps provide respite for children with high medical needs and/or rare disorders (some of whom are terminally ill) and for their parents and siblings.
Paediatric nurses are employed to take care of children with high medical needs and/or rare disorders along with Camp Breakaway volunteers.
Check what parents of children with high medical needs and/or rare disorders have to say about their recent stay at Camp Breakaway
- To give unrelated children with high medical needs and/or rare disorders and their siblings the opportunity to meet.
- To create an atmosphere where parents of children with high medical needs and/or rare disorders feel comfortable to discuss their situation with other parents - this also often leads to the establishment of a support network that continues long after the camp ends.
- To create a nurturing environment where the families of children with high medical needs and/or rare disorders can enjoy respite together.
- To pamper the parents and allow parent-only time by providing seperate entertainment and activities for the children - caring for a child with high medical needs and/or rare disorder/s can be very demanding and parents are often very burnt-out. The aim of parent-only time is to allow them to recharge their batteries (so-to-speak) and give them much needed time to themselves.
- To provide socially rewarding and educational volunteer opportunities to people who in turn make a wonderfully meaningful contribution to the community in which they live.
Children's Activities & Entertainment
Children's activities and entertainment include; craft, sports, a mini Olympics, karaoke and a wide range of games.
Parent's Activities & Entertainment
Parent's activities and entertainment include; a dinner dance, massages, pampering sessions for mums, golf chipping for dads, volley ball games, live entertainment and plenty of time to just relax.
We hold one High Medical Needs Family Camp each year - during which, our volunteers alone, contribute a total of more than 1,000 hours of their time.
For further information or to apply to attend one of these camps, simply contact Merilyn Bailey at Camp Breakaway. Telephone: (02) 4390 7624 - Email: email@example.com